Where is the project?
The NorthStar Project is located approximately 100 miles northeast of Sioux City, IA, west of Estherville and east of Spirit Lake in the high yielding corn and soybean fields of Emmet and Dickinson Counties, Iowa.
What transmission line does the project connect with?
The NorthStar Wind Project is expected to interconnect to a 345 kV (MEC) line
What is the size of the project?
NorthStar: Up to 140MW
Landowners and Acreage Involved:
NorthStar: Around 100 landowners and 20,000 acres will be involved in the project.
When will the project start operating?
Who is developing the project?
The developer of the NorthStar Wind Project is Tradewind Energy, Inc.
Key Project Attributes:
- Once operational, the project is expected to produce enough power for approximately 45,000 homes.
- The project is one of the most energetic wind development sites in northern Iowa.
- Of the approximate 20,000 acres included in the project area, the project will only take approximately 1% to 2% acres of land out of service, including all land for roads, turbine foundations, and maintenance building.
- The project is expected to have no material effect on any threatened and endangered species of birds or animals based on third party studies commissioned by Tradewind Energy.
- Landowners will be participating and collecting royalty payments from the project.
- The project will utilize significant local labor and materials for its construction and operations and will generate significant economic benefits to the local community.
- The project fits well with the surrounding area in terms of the existing infrastructure and commercial activities and enjoys broad community support.
- The project, when completed, will offset approximately 85,000 passenger vehicles and 400,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year.