Interconnection Planning Engineer
Tradewind Energy, Inc. is one of the largest independent wind and solar project development companies in the U.S. Founded in 2003, our company has earned a reputation for innovation in the market, our highly skilled and passionate team and for the respect we demonstrate for the people and communities where we develop projects. We’ve been honored with the Kansas Governor’s Energy Achievement Award and bestowed the national Outstanding Commercial Achievement Award by the American Wind Energy Association. Our founders were named 2013 finalists for the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness and work-life balance of our employees. We have an on-site fitness facility and it’s not unusual to see our employees cycling to work. Our 110 employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team oriented and committed to renewable energy. In addition to exceptional employee benefits and a beautifully designed workplace, we enjoy a balance of work and play and provide our employees with healthy snacks and catered lunches.
We take great pride in our demonstrated ability to deliver low-cost wind and solar energy to diverse markets while maintaining an uncompromising commitment to long-term project quality. To date, Tradewind has contracted for more than 2.8 GW of installed wind and solar capacity, representing $4.5 billion of capital invested or to be invested, and we are rapidly expanding our solar development portfolio.
Tradewind Energy, Inc. is seeking a creative and highly motivated individual for the position of Interconnection Planning Engineer. This full time position will join Tradewind Energy’s dynamic development team in our Kansas City-area offices.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Interconnection Planning Engineer (IPE) is heavily involved in Tradewind Energy’s development strategy for its portfolio of existing and proposed utility-scale wind and solar energy projects. The IPE will coordinate and provide ongoing technical engineering support for various generation interconnection (GI) studies, will coordinate with project teams and outside consultants to manage the GI study process associated with various utilities and ISOs, review and critique interconnection study results, and may perform special technical studies as needed to support the GI study process. Additionally, the IPE will ensure compliance with relevant tariffs and represent Tradewind’s interests in an effort to shape renewable policy development in various ISOs.
- Manage assigned interconnection and engineering activities for various Tradewind utility-scale wind and solar projects from site selection to planning and development.
- Perform in-house technical studies of the transmission grid utilizing engineering software such as PSS/E, PSS-MUST, ASPEN, etc.
- Manage daily interconnection study activities for projects under development, as is required to meet tariff timelines, including the collection and distribution of T&D technical information required by various Utilities; including but not limited to Transmission Providers, Transmission Owners, Affected System Owners, and Independent System Operators.
- Coordinate the development of necessary modeling data with subcontractors for generation interconnection technical studies for submission to Utilities.
- Review interconnection study results, technical reports, and participate in results meetings
- Review and negotiate generation interconnection agreements, submit comments to Utilities in a timely manner and facilitate contract execution.
- Initiate, manage, and review third party studies to assess curtailment, congestion, and other transmission-related project risks.
- Provide analysis to inform Tradewind’s interconnection and transmission related strategy for solar and wind projects; including project size optimization, fatal flaw analysis, interconnection queue management, and risk mitigation strategies.
- Assist in the maintenance of GI study tracking and budget forecasting.
- Ideal candidates will enjoy providing creative bidding strategies that utilize knowledge of the transmission system and thoughtful assessment of study results and hedging options.
- Develop systems to effectively manage all interconnection planning activities, and provide regular reports to management and project teams on project milestones and critical path decisions.
- Review power-flow, short-circuit and stability analysis results of various interconnection studies for projects and submit relevant comments to Utilities and/or Tradewind’s management staff.
- Participate in project scoping meetings, result review meetings and interconnection agreement negotiation discussions.
- Coordinate the process between internal teams and outside consultants to reach consensus on interconnection strategy and estimated project costs. IPE will issue relevant engineering documents to Utilities to communicate conceptual design of interconnection facilities and initiate detailed design for various projects with subcontractors.
- Participate in various public workshops and represent the interests of Tradewind Energy at industry related meetings, conferences and/or legislative forums.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering required, preferably with an emphasis in power systems.
- Master of Business Administration Degree highly preferred, or demonstrated competence in RTO working groups, contract negotiations, or other related business experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in renewable power system analysis or related fields with knowledge of power systems modeling software is preferred. GI model development experience at a RTO or utility is strongly preferred. Exemplary performance in college studies, with a focus on power system analysis, may be acceptable.
- Must have good analytical, decision-making, communication, creative problem-solving, and human relations skills.
- Must be organized, self-motivated and have capability to work independently on major interconnection projects.
Please send a resume and cover letter, to:
Attention: Liz Bentley