Our company is growing exponentially and we are seeking an energetic Environmental Manager to support environmental and permitting efforts on wind and solar development projects.
The successful candidate will be a member of our highly experienced Environmental and Permitting Team supporting all aspects of environmental study and review and federal, state, and local permitting for renewable wind and solar energy projects throughout the United States. You will:
- Serve as designated environmental and permitting representative on wind and solar development teams working on projects throughout the United States
- Oversee Federal Aviation Administration and Communications permitting for wind portfolio
- Develop permit matrices, oversee and manage receipt of all required permits for the development, construction and operation of wind and solar projects
- Develop and oversee implementation of environmental surveys performed by 3rd party contractors at project sites including but not limited to: avian and bat surveys, threatened and endangered species surveys, wetland and stream delineations, cultural resources surveys, and Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Review, finalize, and manage supporting documentation in the form of reports, agency and other stakeholder correspondence, and permit applications to ensure complete project files
- Represent the company and provide subject matter expertise in public forums including public hearings, landowner meetings, and conferences
- Create and coordinate budgets as part of an overall project strategy including development on work plans, forecasting, solicitation and receipt of proposals from contractors, and invoice review and approval
- Provide support for project bids, and project sale processes and associated due diligence efforts
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences or environmental policy area of concentration.
- 3 or more years of experience in the renewable energy industry preferred
- Project management skills and an ability to be highly organized and manage multiple projects, processes, and tasks simultaneously.
- Familiarly with and understanding of the Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and Clean Water Act and the general agency recommendations for complying with those regulations
- Experience in preparing Habitat Conservation Plans, Eagle Conservation Plans, Bird and Bat Protection Strategies, and/or Avian Protection plans and/or experience with NEPA level Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements is a plus
- Demonstrated experience at Federal, State, and local permitting
- Excellent written and presentation communication skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with both internal and external stakeholders about project priorities
- Ability to work expediently to meet aggressive deadlines and ability to manage multiple parallel deadlines
- Willingness to learn new concepts—in the renewable energy, environmental, permitting and finance fields
- Be a team player and comfortable in working in a close-knit, fast-paced environment
- The position will require up to 30% travel
- Position will be based out of our Lenexa, KS office
Tradewind Energy, Inc. is one of the largest independent wind and solar project development companies in the U.S. Founded in 2003, our company has earned a reputation for innovation in the market, for our highly skilled and passionate team, and for the respect we demonstrate for the people and communities where we develop projects.
We’ve been honored with the Kansas Governor’s Energy Achievement Award and bestowed the national Outstanding Commercial Achievement Award by the American Wind Energy Association. Our founders were named 2013 finalists for the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness and work-life balance of our employees. We have an on-site fitness facility and it’s not unusual to see our employees cycling to work. Our 110 employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team oriented and committed to renewable energy. In addition to exceptional employee benefits and a beautifully designed workplace, we enjoy a balance of work and play and provide our employees with healthy snacks and catered lunches. We offer our employees highly competitive pay and above market benefits.
We take great pride in our demonstrated ability to deliver low-cost wind and solar energy to diverse markets while maintaining an uncompromising commitment to long-term project quality. To date, Tradewind has contracted for more than 3 GW of installed wind and solar capacity, powering over 1 million homes with clean energy. We continue to grow and are rapidly expanding our portfolio.
Please submit a cover letter and resume:
Attention: Sue Chalupa