The Project is southwest of Garden City, KS encompassing land area in Finney, Grant, and Haskell Counties.
The Buffalo Dunes Wind Project is interconnecting via a radial T-Line extending from the Project to the Finney Switchyard near the Holcomb Coal Plant.
135 GE 1.85 MW turbines.
Landowners and Acreage Involved:
Approximately 120 landowners and over 42,000 acres currently make up the Buffalo Dunes project area.
The power produced by Buffalo Dunes will be sold to Alabama Power Company, a subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company. The Buffalo Dunes Wind Project will deliver clean, low cost electricity to communities in Alabama.
The developer of the Buffalo Dunes Wind Project is TradeWind Energy, LLC (“TradeWind”), which is headquartered in Lenexa, Kansas. The senior managers of TradeWind have over 100 years of combined experience in the independent power development business including acquisitions and project development across the United States, Europe, Canada, and the Caribbean, as well as significant regulated utility experience.
Key Project Attributes:
- Buffalo Dunes Wind Project will produce enough power for approximately 85,000 homes.
- The majority of the Project is located on tilled acres which minimizes its environmental impact.
- The area is already developed for oil and gas so the Project fits well with the surrounding area in terms of the existing infrastructure and commercial activities and enjoys broad community support.
- The Project will take a minimal amount of acreage (1% to 2%) out of service, including land for roads, turbine foundations, and maintenance buildings.
- The Project will utilize local labor and materials for its construction and operations and will generate significant economic benefits to the local community.